For several years, a small group of concerned residents from Western Victoria have been working to protect animals, local ecology, and biodiversity. This inspired the creation of Gariwerd Animal Biodiversity Alliance which was registered on 21st March 2021.
The purposes of GABA are to:
- ensure wildlife and their habitats are protected for forthcoming generations
- inform people about the importance of native wildlife to local ecology and biodiversity
- educate people about all species of non-human animals, including their needs, interests, rights, and relationships to land, sky, waters, and other species
- advocate for all animals and for biodiversity.
We are campaigning to:
- create lower speed limits to protect wildlife at critical times (dusk to dawn) to reduce the numbers of animals hurt and killed by cars
- encourage kinder fencing that doesn’t entangle and trap animals travelling through their habitat and landscape
- protect kangaroos from shooting
- provide support and safety to residents impacted by the Kangaroo shooting.
- Facilitate and encourage farming that can coexist with wildlife in the surrounding grasslands abutting the Geriwerd national park